Friday, May 2, 2014

Fine Dining - less costly in London

Congratulations to Chef Andre for making his way into the 2014 San Pellegrino's World's Best Restaurants at 37th place.  Last year, he was ranked 38th.  A fine achievement for a local chef!

I have never dined at his restaurant. His website is really artistic and I couldn't find any specific descriptions of the food served. Never mind, food bloggers like Miss Tam Chiak have reviewed it. Cost - $128++ for lunch and $298++ for dinner.


What About Dining in London?

When it comes to food, London is probably the Michelin star capital of the world. London has 53 Michelin 1-Star, nine 2 star and two 3 star restaurants.

I wondered how much it would cost to dine in such restaurants in London, so I went to do some research.
In the same St Pellegrino's ranking, Dinner by Heston Blumental London came in at number 5. Wow, top 5 in the world. Let's check it out.



This restaurant is located into Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park Hotel, close to Knightsbridge Tube station. The theme is traditional British. This is a Michelin 2 star restaurant. Here are snapshots of the menu.
Set Lunch - £38 for 3 courses. Sample of the main courses you can choose from below.


What about a la carte to dinner? Starters. I want to try the Roast Scallops at £18.50.


Main Courses. I want to try the Hereford Ribeye at £38.00.


Desserts. I want to try the Tipsy Cake at £14.00.

My 3 course dinner would cost £70.50 before the service charges. Add in drinks, maybe £90 to £100. Not too bad, given that this is a 2 star Michelin restaurant in Londom.

Next, let's look at number 10 on the St Pellegrino's ranking, a London restaurant called the Ledbury, also Michelin 2 stars. Here is the landing page.


Now, let's see what they offer for lunch. Set lunch at £45 for 4 courses. Nice!


What about dinner? The tasting menu costs £110 per person without wines, and £180 per person if paired with wines. For how much food we are getting, £110 doesn't sound too expensive at all!


So far, the prices in London do not sound steep, when compared to Singapore prices! Recall it was $128++ for lunch and $298++ for dinner at Restaurant Andre.

Fine Dining in Singapore is Expensive 
Fine Dining in Singapore is expensive, really expensive. In this blog post, I have tried to compare like for like. I would assume that the two London restaurants here are even better than Restaurant Andre given that they are ranked substantially higher in the St Pellegrino's ranking and they have 2 Michelin Stars. Chef Andre's restaurant doesn't have a Michelin Star, at least not yet.

These findings are consistent with an earlier blog post where I pondered about cost of living in Singapore while sipping a Cafe Latte and trying a Panini in a Cafe near Shadwell DLR Station.

Happy Feasting!

2 comments:

  1. NOW LIFE IS WORTH LIVING WITH THE HELP OF EDWARD JONES FINANCE

    Hello Every One, My Name is Trevor Cohen live in Texas and life is worth living comfortably for me and my family now. I really have never seen goodness shown to me this much in my life as i am a struggling Dad with three kids and i have been going through a serious problem as my son encountered a terrible accident last week, and the doctors states that he needs to undergo a delicate surgery for him to be able to walk again, and i could not afford the bill for his surgery then i went to the bank for a loan and they turn me down stating that credit score was bad, from there i run to my father and some of my freinds but they could not help, then when i was surfing through the net i came across a loan lender EDWARD JONES who provides loans at an affordable interest rate of 2% and i have been hearing about so many scams on the internet but at this time, in my desperate situation i had no choice than to give it a try and surprisingly it was all like a dream, i received a loan of $85,000.00 and i payed for my son surgery and thank GOD today he is okay and can walk. I could in turn start something profitable with the remaining amount and i said to my self that i will shout loud to the world of the wonders of GOD to me through this GOD fearing lender EDWARD JONES and i will advise anyone in genuine and serious need of loan to contact this GOD fearing Company via: Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com OR Text him +1(307) 217-5388

    ReplyDelete
  2. COVID-19 vaccination card

    Very interesting article you got here. Many articles I come across these days do not really provide anything that attracts others as yours, but believe me the way you interact is literally awesome I do respect that so much. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates you make and as well take the advantage to share some latest information about

    COVID-19 VACCINATION CARD which many are not yet informed of it importance for travellers as for job seekers.covid 19 vaccination card uae,covid-19 vaccination card cambodia,covid-19 vaccination card registration,covid 19 vaccination card walgreens,covid 19 vaccination card abu dhabi,covid 19 vaccination card dubai,covid 19 vaccination card tamouh,covid-19 vaccination card singapore,covid 19 vaccination card philippines,covid-19 vaccination card bd,how to get covid-19 vaccination card in uae,covid 19 vaccination card bangladesh,how to sign up for covid vaccine,how to sign up for covid vaccine testing,how to apply for covid 19 vaccine trials,what is the covid vaccine status,

    ReplyDelete